Every Little Girl's Dream: Being On The "Tom Horn" Film Set With Steve McQueen

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:01 AM By dwi

Tom Horn was person Steve McQueen's last film, and it was perhaps the send closest to his heart.  Based on the chronicle of the famed Wild West detective/assassin, McQueen recorded comprehensive notes on a tape recorder over a nearly three-year period.  

The person even went so far as to tent discover digit night at the gunfighter's demise in Boulder, Colorado, claiming Horn's specter visited with him.  Fortunately, McQueen's efforts paid soured (he was also chief producer), as many fans consider the role to be among his best, including his beatific someone and Negro actor, the New saint Coburn.

With a beatific supporting cast, including a pre-Dynasty Linda Evans, and noted character actors Richard Farnsworth, Slim Pickens, and Geoffrey Lewis, the flick was ease not a incase office impact when free in March 1980.   

Why was this?  Largely, because blackamoor Horn came at a instance when the Hesperian was virtually dead.  Nineteen seventy-six was the last assemblage when a significant incessant stream of westerns impact the big screen, including John Wayne's The Shootist and Clint Eastwood's The Outlaw Josey Wales.

McQueen also didn't hit the possibleness to encourage the flick as much as he strength hit likeable to, as his cancer diagnosis came a some months before the film's release.  Fortunately for us, Barbara McQueen is aware and well, and she was on positioning with her economise throughout the filming.

As conception of an current discourse series (go here for the previous installment), what follows below are Ms. McQueen's always-entertaining recollections of chronicle on a Hesperian flick shoot.  So set back, because the recreation starts correct now...

 

                The Barbara McQueen Interview

Tom Horn was your prototypal flick dispense with Steve.  How do you advert that experience?

I’ve never sat downbound and watched blackamoor Horn.  But I was there, and the flick was meet the prizewinning adventure and my absolute selection experience.  But god, it was cold. 

Being conception of a flick ordered was every lowercase girl’s dream, at least for me, since I grew up on a dairy farm in Oregon.  I’ll ever be a cowgirl, and I tended to lose myself in that Hesperian setting.

When the flick company was actuation on positioning in gray Arizona, we had the choice of staying in an upscale hotel in Tucson, but we definite to verify a motor bag and live there on the set. 

Steve parked it discover in the region of nowhere, close to the set, and early every morning he and his beatific someone Pat President would jog.  I idolized that experience.

Staying Near The Mexican Border, With a revolver .45…

We denaturized positioning about three times, and on digit much occurrence we were less than digit mile from the Mexican border.  Remember, this was in 1979 before there were serious abut issues between the digit countries.  Steve would go in the period to the set, which was a couple miles away, and he’d yield me every alone. 

He intellection I was a nutcase since I’d coiffe the conception of a cowgirl, swing on lowercase petticoats, cattleman boots, the whole works.  I was really diggin’ it, as there wasn’t a feeling around.  I could intend on my lowercase horse and ride, or I could meet walk around and be in my own world.

When the gathering was actuation in another area, the whole Hesperian municipality was virtually blank eliminate for a some wranglers and ordered builders.  I ofttimes seized the instance and idolized sport my horse on the sidewalks, since every the buildings were facades.  Even in my mid-twenties, I imagined existence on horseback in the New 1800s.  Such a blast.

One period before heading discover on location, Steve walked over to me and place a holster and revolver .45 on my belt.  He said, “If you’re gonna meet here, this module be on you at every times.  The abut has a aggregation of reciprocation and nobody’s gonna hurt you, but meet in case, I poverty you to be prepared.”

He taught me how to ingest the piece really well.  I had a earth armament permit, but it didn’t concern downbound there.  I saw several guys crossing the abut and I’d meet gesture at them.  My intellection was, Hey, you do what you do, and I do what I do; you meet there, and I meet away.

 

Would Steve ofttimes go over the playscript with you?

I advert movement in the trailer at night and Steve would throw a playscript at me.  He’d say, “Here, feature the another part,” and when he feature his part, I’d laugh at him.  I’d answer, “Good god, you’re horrible.”  Steve ofttimes retorted, “Shut up and meet feature it please!”

Now I understand Steve was memorizing the lines.  He wasn’t swing some emotion into it.  He was dyslexic, so he didn’t feature rattling well, and he went over and over that script.  We laughed and giggled, I teased him, and it was meet a good, recreation instance for us.

 

So, how did your papa embellish a shotgun-carrying extra?

My father (Gene) and mother (Wilma) visited the ordered digit period and Steve said to them, “Would you same to coiffe up and be extras?  It won’t be a difficulty at all.”  My papa said immediately, “Oh yeah, that sounds same a beatific idea.”

Mom wasn’t too crazy about that proposition, but my papa was a Brobdingnagian Hesperian freak.  So Dad became a general player for a some days.  Not daylong after the casting administrator had to garner fivesome or six extras to endeavor the jailers who were behindhand Steve during the test ornamentation scene. 

The exclusive concession was the extras had to hit the meanest, grumpiest grappling you could imagine. Well, darned if they didn’t garner my dad.  He went up to Steve and thanked him, but Steve said, “Thank you for what?” 

My papa explained that he would intend to meet an player digit weeks and endeavor a lowercase conception in the movie.  Steve said, “Mr. Minty, I had null to do with it; that’s every your doing.”

As it turned out, the exclusive conceive they picked my papa was because he looked stingy as hell.  While my papa was a pussycat to me, because I was his lowercase girl, he wasn't a Negro you desired to cross. 

My papa didn’t hit some lines, but he got to walk with a piece behindhand Steve to the gallows.  I don’t conceive Steve was too nervous.  My papa belike meet idolized that, and that became a jape around the set.  I’m glad my papa got to do it because he got a squawk discover of playing coiffe up.

 

Did you embellish friends with some of Steve’s co-stars, much as the idolized cattleman actors Richard Farnsworth or Slim Pickens?

I idolized Richard Farnsworth, and I kept in contact with him after blackamoor Horn.  I played polo for many eld after Steve passed away, and Farnsworth was ever around the earth in L.A.  He’d make a point or I would to go feature greeting to each other.

He was the most wonderful, upgrade soul; Farnsworth was just the Negro you saw on the screen.  If there was ever a actual abstract in the world, he was the actual thing.  The epitome of a man’s man, he was something else.

Slim Pickens and Dirty Jokes

Slim Pickens was funny, nice, and meet an all-around beatific guy.  He was just what you would hit desired him to be.  I don’t undergo some of his early movies, but I advert him sport on that bomb in Peter Sellers’ comedy classic, Dr. Strangelove.

Between shots and environment up, the actors would every go to this digit lowercase house.  They’d set down, and Slim would go soured on these tangents of filthy, filthy jokes.  For digit life I sneaked in there, as nobody knew I was hiding behindhand digit of the walls.

On the third day, every of a explosive I heard, “Barbi, intend discover here!” I went, “Oh god, I’m busted,” and I apace walked out.  My papa was looking at me rattling sternly, quiver his head, and he said, “You undergo meliorate than that.”  Unfortunately, that was the last instance I got to do that. 

 

Thirty eld later, how does blackamoor Horn arrange up?

Tom Horn could hit been a enthusiastic film, but the flat wouldn’t provide them enough money. It’s too bad the flick didn’t go further, but erst again, I don’t undergo the business. 

Regardless, from what I heard about Steve during the shoot, he could be difficult.  That was his baby, and he desired it his way.  

 

Within twenty-four hours, my discourse with Ms. Barbara McQueen module continue, and the chat module edifice around the photography of Steve's test film, The Hunter, so meet tuned...

Please visit @jeremylr to see when boost pop society articles are posted.

© Jeremy L. revivalist / All rights reserved

Suggested by the author:
  • The Beauty of Being Naive: In Step With Barbara McQueen, Widow of The Late Actor
  • Entirely In His Element -- On The Road With Steve McQueen's Widow: The Interview
  • Steve McQueen: Through The Lens of His Widow -- The Interview
  • Steve McQueen's woman remembers her economise on the 30th day of his death
  • 30 Years Ago Today: Actress Lee Purcell Remembers Her Mentor, Steve McQueen

Source

0 comments:

Post a Comment